High Sheriff of Cumbria
Samantha Scott, 2023/2024
Current High Sheriff
I was born in Sheffield but have lived near Windermere for almost 30 years.
Post Edinburgh University, I worked for several years in London with the wine merchant, Justerini & Brooks. I developed a love of fine wine but London life was not for me in the long term.
I am married to Alex, a 4th generation Cumbrian whose family owned a prominent business in Kendal and also established Abbott Hall Art Gallery and The Brewery Arts Centre along with two significant locally-focused charitable trusts.
I am fortunate to have been a trustee of The Frieda Scott Charitable Trust for 10 years and Chair for 3. The role involves overseeing and providing financial support to multiple organisations serving the needs of the most vulnerable in our county. It is a privilege that is both humbling and inspirational.
Alex and I have 3 adult children who have strong Cumbrian connections and regularly return for weekends and holidays. We live on our family’s organic farm and my wider interests are mostly focussed on the outdoors. I have had a life-long passion for horses and until recently enjoyed watching our children compete. I generally have a pair of binoculars with me when walking our dogs and enjoy learning to identify local flora and fauna, particularly birds.
We are lucky to live in such a beautiful environment and I am looking forward to travelling around our county this year, learning about the challenges faced by many in our communities and applauding those who do so much to address them.
In late April I will be walking the 73 miles of The Cumbria Way, visiting up to 25 charities along the way and raising money for the High Sheriff’s General Fund. The fund is managed by The Cumbria Community Foundation to which charities can apply for funding. At the end of my year in office I will be awarding grants from the High Sheriff’s General Fund.
Undersheriff Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell has served Cumbria in the voluntary role of Undersheriff since 2013. Born in Cumberland, Tim read law at Cambridge and spent the next 40 years as a Carlisle solicitor. He is also a trustee and vice chair of Cumbria Community Foundation.
As Undersheriff, Tim has a vital role in providing wise counsel and continuity. He brings knowledge and considerable experience of all things relating to protocol and ceremonial matters which is a huge support to each High Sheriff in office.
Chaplain Right Reverend John Richardson
John Richardson is a “Son of a Manse” originally from Durham. After 2 years of National Service in Malaya John studied for 3 years at Cambridge and spent many happy hours rowing on the Cam.
John then spent 2 years at Cuddesdon Theological College Oxford under the watchful eye of Robert Runcie (Archbishop of Canterbury 1980-1991).
Most of John’s ordained life has been in Parish Ministry culminating in 8 years as Bishop of Bedford.
John and Felicity-Anne “retired” to Bewcastle 21 years ago, and John has been assistant bishop in the Dioces of both Carlisle and Newcastle.
“It’s my 6th “ term” as Chaplain to the High Sheriff! A privilege I have always loved as it brings me in touch with all sorts of people in their daily lives, interests and work. What has impressed me most has been the way in which thousands spend hours of their time standing alongside those in particular need. This coming year will be no exception, and I count it a privilege to stand alongside Sam Scott who has been a friend of our family now for almost 40 years.”
The Office of High Sheriff of Cumbria
The county of Cumbria was created in 1974. Cumbria is made up of the former shrievalties of Cumberland and Westmorland as well as former parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire. Below is a list of the previous High Sheriffs of Cumbria.
- 2022: Alan McViety of Appleby
- 2021: David Beeby of Cockermouth
- 2020: Julie Barton of Ulverston
- 2019: Marcia Reid Fotheringham, JP of Brampton
- 2018: Simon Frederick Michael Berry of Windermere
- 2017: Alistair G M Wannop of Carlisle
- 2016: The Rev’d (Group Captain) T Richard Lee of Egremont
- 2015: Samuel Alan Miles Rayner of Kendal
- 2014: Martyn Peter Telford Hart of Carlisle
- 2013: Diana Matthews of Windermere
- 2012: Juliet D J Westoll, MBE of Longtown
- 2011: Iona A Frost-Pennington of Ravenglass
- 2010: James Ronald Carr of Warwick-on-Eden
- 2009: Elizabeth Honor Susan Thornely of Windermere
- 2008: Graham William Lamont
- 2007: Claire Theresa Hensman
- 2006: Robert Lawie Frederick Burgess
- 2005: Dr Adam Charles Illingworth Naylor of Lowick
- 2004: Frederick Charles Theodore Markham of Morland, Penrith
- 2003: Antony Richard Leeming of Skirsgill Park, Penrith
- 2002: David William Trimble, of Dalston, Carlisle
- 2001: Robert Bryce Hasell-McCosh of Dalemain, Pooley Bridge, Penrith
- 2000: The Lady Hothfield, Drybeck Hall, Appleby
- 1999: Arthur Ian Bullough, of Brampton
- 1998: Simon Philip Pease of Kirkby Lonsdale
- 1997: John Henry Fryer-Spedding, OBE, of Keswick
- 1996: Henry Charles Fraser Bowring, of Barbon
- 1995: Hugh William Lawson, of Carlisle
- 1994: Frederick John Richard Boddy, of Burton
- 1993: Margaret Washington
- 1992: Myles Christopher Ross Sandys, of Graythwaite Hall, near Hawkshead
- 1991: Ian Cufaude Carr, of Brampton
- 1990: Thomas Peter Naylor, of Ambleside
- 1989: Major Timothy Richard Riley, of Penrith
- 1988: Roger Brockbank, of Kendal
- 1987: William Victor Gubbins, Esq., of Penrith
- 1986: Major Nigel James Clarkson Webb, of, Burton-in-Kendal,
- 1985: Major Antony James Robinson Harrison, of Carlisle
- 1984: Edward Peter Ecroyd, of Carlisle
- 1983: Peter Eric Fyers Crewdson of Kendal
- 1982: William John Montague Chaplin of Finsthwaite
- 1981: Timothy Ross Fetherstonhaugh, of, Penrith
- 1980: Charles Henry Bagot, of Levens Hall
- 1979: Stafford Vaughan Stepney Howard, of Greystoke Castle, Penrith
- 1978: Richard Hugh Cavendish, of Holker Hall
- 1977: Edward Hubert Fleming-Smith, T.D., of Hawksdale Hall, Dalston, Carlisle
- 1976: Joseph Hugh Harris, of Calthwaite, Penrith
- 1975: Michael Charles Stanley, M.B.E., of Halecat, Witherslack, Grange-over-Sands
- 1974: George Nigel Fancourt Wingate, O.B.E., of Bridge End House, Cockermouth
I hope you find the information in this website both interesting and informative. You may like to visit The High Sheriff Association to learn more about the Office of High Sheriff www.highsheriffs.com